During the installation of a supported Windows 2012 MatrikonOPC software product, we have faced any of the following:
- Having troubles installing MatrikonOPC Product
- Getting an errors/warning while installation aborting the installation, or completed with warnings
- Installation completed but the product were found unusable
In case we want to run our OPC applications (eg MatrikonOPC Tunneller, ORB) on Windows Server 2012 that requires the .NET Framework 2.0 or above, we will most likely run in to a problem when trying to install it. With Windows Server 2012, Microsoft provides both the .NET 3.5 (includes 2.0) and 4.5 install options for any of your applications’ requirements. To install .NET Framework 3.5 from the Server Manager GUI, you should follow the following steps:
- Click on Server Manager -> Dashboard
- Under 'Configure this local server' -> Click 'Add Roles and Features Wizard'
- Before you begin->Click ‘ Next’
- This will take you to the 'Installation Type' screen and select the installation type. For our internal systems, I chose the ‘Role based or feature based installation’. This option will configure a single server by adding roles, role services, and features
- Click ‘Next’
- You will get the 'Select destination Server' screen where your current computer will be selected by default along with the IP address and the Operating System.
- Click ‘Next’.
- You will be on the 'Select Server Roles' Screen
- Click ‘Next’ without changing any default settings
- On the 'Select Features' screen, select the .Net Framework 3.5 Features in the Features section.
- Expand it to make sure that under that, .Net Framework 3.5 (includes .Net 2.0 and 3.0) have been selected.
- In some cases, .Net Framework 4.5 Features will be partially selected by default. Keep it in that state.
- Click ‘Next’
- The next screen will be to confirm the installation selections
- The user may run into the following message indicating the source files could not be found.
"Do you want to specify an alternate source path? One or more installation selections are missing source files…”
Please keep Windows Server 2012 installation CD/DVD/ installation media ready incase the feature installation fails.
The source path usually falls under “d:\sources\sxs” but should be thoroughly checked by the customer too depending on their system configuration and set up.
- Wait for the Wizard to finish the installation.
- Reboot the machine and then try the product installation
You should be able to get the product functioning correctly with a successful error free installation